At ShiruDigi, we are a team of digital marketing experts with practical industry experience. In this article, we bring you some social media marketing job interview questions and answers.
Which Social Media Marketing Platforms are the Best for Our Business?
In this scenario, it is important for you to read up about the industry the business is in and have an idea of who their target audience would be. For example, for a B2B company like a digital marketing agency, the target audience consists of professionals who may be interested in outsourcing their digital marketing requirements. Hence, in this case, LinkedIn would be a top priority for the agency.
But, for a B2C company like Amazon Shopping – whose goal is to get more people to buy products on their site – LinkedIn might not be as high up on the priority list. Instead, social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube would be more beneficial.
How Would You Generate Leads for Our Business From Social Media?
This requires you to have a deep understanding of how social media platforms work, how people engage with content on each platform, and what the business’s target audience is. After that, the aim would be for you to provide a solution for lead generation from social media.
Some examples include:
- Running paid advertisements on social media
- Creating engaging content that would urge the user to learn more about the brand
- Providing a free download to an eBook or report after they fill out a form
How do you Improve Engagement on a Social Media Post?
Some examples on how to increase social media engagement organically include:
- Hosting contests
- Posting content that the target audience finds interesting
- Ask questions that would require users to comment on the post
Read Also: How To Increase Social Media Engagement
Why is it Important to Stay on Top of Competitors?
Following a brand on social media is free. That’s why it is very likely that the same people in the target audience is following your competitors on social media. That’s why, it is always important to keep an eye on:
- which platforms your competitors are on
- what kind of social media posts are they posting (images, links, videos, etc)
- the content of their social media posts
- how their followers are interacting with their social media posts
On the basis of this data, a brand can optimize their internal social media marketing strategy to adapt what is working for competitors.
Why is Social Media Marketing Important?
Some of the advantages of social media marketing include:
- Increase brand awareness
- Build brand trust
- Create brand authority
- Improve customer experience
- Increase website traffic
What Are Some Social Media Tools You Like to Use?
While there are different tools you may prefer as a social media marketing professional, there are two tools you should definitely mention – Facebook text overlay and each platform’s insights section.
Facebook’s algorithm prefers images with less than 20% text on them. The lesser the text, the better the organic reach. The Facebook Text Overlay tool was a tool by Facebook which allowed advertisers to check the image they planned to post on social media to see if the amount of text on the image would restrict reach. But, this tool is no longer supported by Facebook.
When it comes to insights – each social media platform you create a business page/account on provides insights which showcase follower demographics, engagement rate, when your brand followers are online, etc. This information can help in the following ways:
- You can see which post is getting more engagement. This allows you to understand what content users like the best, and provide them more of it.
- The insights section can let you know when your audience is online and this can be segmented by day and time. Businesses can leverage this data to make sure their posts get more eye balls.
Explain some Social Media Best Practices for Posts
This is a social media marketing interview question that will help the interviewer understand just how well you understand social media marketing as a marketing tactic. That’s why, it is important for you to be able to answer this question efficiently.
Some best practices include:
- Content should be mobile friendly since a majority of social media users access the platforms on their phones (if you’re able to, see if you are able to remember a few statistics around the % of mobile users on key social media platforms)
- The images should not be text heavy as social media platforms do not prefer text heavy images, and organic reach will be affected. Also, making images text heavy will make it harder for mobile users to read it.
- Find the balance between TMI and informative posts. Users on social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram in most cases, aren’t looking for intensive information about something. But, if they are following a brand, they would want informative posts. So, it is important to find that fine line.
- Video consumption has consistently been going up, and has drastically risen due to COVID. That’s why, prefer posting videos, followed by images, followed by links to your website. Wondering why links to your website was mentioned as a lower priority over videos and images? That’s because social media platforms like Facebook don’t want users to leave their site and go to another website. That’s why, the algorithm is set up in a way that posts with external links do not get as much preference as videos and images.
Do SEO and Social Media Marketing Have an Effect on Each Other?
The answer is yes.
Here is an article that explains exactly why – Do Social Media And SEO Go Hand-In-Hand?
What is the Hardest Thing You Worked On and How Did You Tackle it?
This is a generic question that can fit into any interview scenario, irrespective of the role or industry. Mistakes are what make us human. But, the interviewer wants to understand if you as individual are willing to accept and admit that you made a mistake, and what you do to fix it and make sure it does not happen again.
Hope these social media marketing interview questions and answers make you feel more confident for your next job interview! All the best!